West Webster Fire Department

2024 Incidents
Month Incidents
January 114
February 93
March 94
April 94
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December
Total 395

2023 Incidents
Month Incidents
January 73
February 97
March 105
April 88
May 88
June 99
July 116
August 109
September 104
October 90
November 101
December 91
Total 1161


Web Counters
Website Visitors
Since
December 19, 2013
2,405,751
Visitors Today
May 28, 2024
810

 

 

Fire District

 Board of Fire Commissioners

 

A fire district is a government body which provides fire protection to the area it serves. This
includes essential firefighter equipment and the maintenance of both fire trucks and fire stations.
The West Webster Fire District provides a key role in providing fire protection to the residents of
both West Webster and Northwest Penfield; this area was determined by an approved
boundaries map filed at the Monroe County Court House. The West Webster Fire District was
formed in 1933 in response to changes in New York State laws. Fire districts are governed by a
board of Fire Commissioners who are elected to five year terms by the registered voters in the
fire district.

 

In 1933, the West Webster Fire Department elected its first five Fire Commissioners. These
individuals were tasked with promoting the best interests of the fire district and its residents.
The first five commissioners were Albert Brigham,, Allen Dayton, John Schlegel Sr. , Dewey
Welsher, and Albert Kobor. In the early years, the Fire District struggled to provide the funds
needed for equipment, because the current tax rate was very low. The Fireman’s Association
was then called upon to provide the funds for the needed equipment. The Fireman’s Association
obtains funds from donations and fund-raising events, such as the annual fund drive. As time
progressed; however, the Fire District was able to assume additional financial responsibilities.

 

In 1961, the Fire District approved the acquisition of a second fire station in the Northwest
area of the district. A plot of land was secured from the Bay Road School District, and a two bay
station was constructed. This station housed four trucks, and a radio and utility room. The
purchase of fire trucks was previously done with funds obtained through donations and
fundraising. In 1963, however, the West Webster Fire District purchased its first truck. This was
a 1964 Ford which could carry and pump 750 gallons of water and transport seven firefighters.
This truck was housed at the corner of Gravel and Ridge Road, until being relocated to the newly
constructed Station 1 on Gravel Road.

 

The Fire District improved fire stations, and purchased several pieces of apparatus in the
1970s. Purchases included new pumpers and rescue/salvage trucks, a quint/ladder truck, and a
boat. Further, in 1978, approximately 3,000 square feet were added to the south end of Station 1.
This included a two bay garage, several offices, and a meeting room. Station 2 also received
additional storage space and a generator.

 

One acquisition in the 80s was the purchase of Pumper 124, a 1981 International FMC four-
wheel drive vehicle. This was designed to access the smaller driveways along Lake Ontario and
the Irondequoit Bay. In 1983, the first chief’s vehicle was purchased. This was a 1984
Chevrolet Suburban which was outfitted with cabinets constructed by a member.
To meet the future needs of the southern portion of the district, the Elm Forks Property at the
corner of Plank and State Roads was obtained in the 90s. The purpose of acquiring this property
was to house a future firehouse. Also, in 1993, a second 5,000 square foot addition to the
Gravel Road firehouse was approved by the commissioners. This included a new chief’s office,

a small meeting room, a larger main meeting room, and a new roof and bunk rooms. In 1994,
the Fire District implemented the Length of Service Awards Program which provided benefits to
both fire and EMS responders who maintained the established criteria.
December 2000 marked the completion of the new station at the corner of Plank and State
Roads. The station was named the “Elm Forks Station” to honor the Elm Forks Hotel which
previously occupied the site. Last, a second boat was obtained to assist with calls on Irondequoit
Bay and Lake Ontario. Both boats are kept on the Bay from April to October, to help increase
response time.

 

Throughout the years, the West Webster Fire District has provided dedicated service to the
residents of West Webster and Northwest Penfield. Decisions were made to meet the needs of
the residents not only at the current time, but also for the future.

Website Designed and Hosted By: Content Proudly Maintained By: Contact Info:
Firehouse Solutions
www.FirehouseSolutions.com
West Webster Fire Department
1051 Gravel Road
Webster, New York 14580
Emergency Dial 911
Non-Emergency: 585-671-4141
E-mail: info@westwebsterfd.org
Copyright © 2024 Firehouse Solutions (A Service of Technology Reflections, Inc.)